The Parkway East closure planned for this weekend has been postponed by a week.
The closure will take place from Friday, Dec. 11 at 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. Monday, Dec. 14.
This delay comes as PennDOT announced the Parkway West will close this weekend. It will be closed from Friday at 9 p.m. until 6 p.m. Saturday -- and from 9 p.m. Saturday until 4 p.m. Sunday for repaving.
PennDOT has offered the following detours:
- Motorists will exit I-376 at the I-79 south (Exit 64A) interchange towards Washington
- Follow I-79 south to the Carnegie (Exit 57) interchange off-ramp
- At the end of the off-ramp, turn left onto West Main Street
- West Main Street becomes Mansfield Boulevard
- Turn right onto Chestnut Street
- Turn left onto East Main Street
- East Main Street becomes Noblestown Road
- Turn right onto Mansfield Avenue
- Turn left onto Greentree Road
- Turn right onto Parkway Center Drive
- Follow to I-376
- End detour
- Motorists will exit I-376 at the Greentree/Crafton (Exit 67) interchange
- Bear left to north 121 towards Crafton
- Turn left onto Mansfield Avenue (Route 3062)
- Turn left onto Noblestown Road (Route 50)
- Noblestown Road becomes East Main Street
- Turn right onto Jane Street
- Jane Street becomes Mansfield Boulevard
- Mansfield Boulevard becomes West Main Street
- Follow West Main Street to I-79
- Take the ramp to northbound I-79
- Follow northbound I-79 to I-376
- End detour
The outbound detour begins at the Oakland exit, but drivers should be able to access the outbound parkway from the Squirrel Hill/Homestead and Edgewood/Swissvale entrances.
The inbound closure starts at the Wilkinsburg exit, but drivers should be able to access the parkway from the Boulevard of the Allies entrance ramp.
PennDOT plans to have police officers out directing traffic, but said to expect heavy delays.
The Parkway East closures are part of the Greenfield Bridge rebuilding project, which requires removing concrete slabs in preparation for the bridge's implosion.