The state Department of Environmental Protection says a man who was burned after a natural gas explosion at a Pennsylvania pipeline complex was in a home that caught fire nearby.
Flames shot into the sky Friday morning when officials say an explosion traced to a 36-inch natural gas pipeline occurred at a facility owned by Texas Eastern Transmission.
Company officials shut off the pipeline, but not before the fire burned an area nearby in Salem Township.
The injured man has been taken to a Pittsburgh hospital. His name and condition were not immediately released.
Officials say the fire is contained but residual gas in the pipeline will continue to burn for hours. A one-quarter mile radius has been evacuated in the largely rural township.
State utility regulators, state police and the gas company are investigating.