Historic Building

Photo courtesy of Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

One of the first free libraries built by Andrew Carnegie was located in Allegheny City, a short walk from the house where he’d lived as a boy after emigrating from Scotland. That library, with its music hall, was a Richardsonian Romanesque architectural landmark. It opened in 1890, and remained in operation until April 2006, when a lightning bolt swatted a decorative three-ton granite finial from the structure, causing $2 million in damage.

Wikimedia Commons

A rehabilitation effort in the commercial corridor of the Hill District is one step closer to opening its doors.

Once a performance hub for artists like Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald, the New Granada Theater has sat empty on the 2000 block of Centre Avenue for more than a decade. Planning and fundraising are underway for a full rehabilitation of the historic Art Deco-style building built in the 1920s.