Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Prosecution Winding Down Its Case Against Sandusky?

On the fourth day of testimony in the child sexual abuse trial of Jerry Sandusky, a 25-year-old man told jurors that in 1998 the former Penn State assistant football coach bear-hugged him in a locker-room shower.

The accuser, identified by prosecutors as Victim 6, said Sandusky put soap on his back and shoulders after a workout then lifted him up chest-to-chest to rinse his hair. He said he blacked out at the time of the encounter, when he was 11 years old.

Penn State police investigated after the boy's mother became suspicious when he returned home with wet hair but authorities ultimately decided not to bring charges.

On cross-examination, the man testified that he could recall no further sexual contact with the coach.

The speed of the trial seems to be quicker than the originally projected 2-3 weeks. The prosecution seems to be winding down its case.

Three accusers testified Wednesday. One of Jerry Sandusky's alleged victims said he stayed quiet in part to keep receiving free tickets to Penn State football games and continued to socialize with the defendant for nine years after the abuse ended. Another said Sandusky told him he'd never see his family again if he told anyone what happened. That accuser said Sandusky later apologized. He said the threat came after Sandusky performed oral sex on him.

A now 23-year-old man identified as Victim Number 5 said he was ten years old when a school counselor recommended that he take part in the Second Mile charity to be around more English-speaking people because his parents spoke Polish at home. He testified he was sexually abused once and that was the last time he saw Sandusky.

The men testified yesterday that those were among the ways Sandusky held sway following alleged molestation while they were children.

Sandusky is charged with abusing 10 boys over a 15-year span. He maintains his innocence.

For more information on the Sandusky trial, we have summaries of the first day of testimony, and testimony from Tuesday morning, Tuesday afternoon, and Wednesday.