Feb. 15, 2018
Dear Friends of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting,
This week, the White House released its proposed Federal Budget for Fiscal Year 2019, and once again it recommends eliminating virtually all funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). CPB was founded more than 50 years ago as part of the Public Broadcasting Act. It is not a government agency - rather it is an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan corporation that receives funds from the Federal Government and distributes those funds to develop and maintain our Nation’s public radio and television systems. The vast majority of these funds go to public radio and TV stations, like 90.5 WESA and 91.3 WYEP.
Here are a few key points we want you to know:
1. The White House’s recommendation to eliminate CPB funding is, for now, just that: a recommendation, and the beginning of a long process.
2. CPB funds account for more than $300,000 of our annual operating revenues for WESA and WYEP. These funds are critical to our work, but not our largest source of our funding: support from individual listeners and supporters like you is.
3. Public media has proven itself time and time again to be one of America’s best investments. In fact, for every dollar we receive from CPB we raise an additional $19 on our own!
4. America believes in Public Media. A national survey by the bipartisan polling firms of Hart Research and American Viewpoint says that more than two-thirds of American voters oppose eliminating government funding of public broadcasting.
5. It is important that your passion and commitment to WESA, WYEP and to public media be heard. Now.
I urge you to visit the Protect My Public Media website to learn how you can help preserve this essential source of funding for public radio and television, in our region and across the county.
Our mission to inform and inspire the public has never been more important. Thank you for your dedication to this mission and to our work.
President and CEO
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting