Chris Cieslak

Photo courtesy of Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

One of the first free libraries built by Andrew Carnegie was located in Allegheny City, a short walk from the house where he’d lived as a boy after emigrating from Scotland. That library, with its music hall, was a Richardsonian Romanesque architectural landmark. It opened in 1890, and remained in operation until April 2006, when a lightning bolt swatted a decorative three-ton granite finial from the structure, causing $2 million in damage.