© 2022 90.5 WESA
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Contact 90.5 WESA with a story idea or news tip: news@wesa.fm

Others Aren't Charged In Teen's State College Inhalant Death

john_jack_schoenig__state_college_death.jpg
Google Maps
/
John "Jack" Schoenig was pronounced dead at the scene at 522 W. College Ave., State College, after he became unconscious and experienced shallow breathing.

Authorities say criminal charges won’t be filed against people who were present when an Erie teenager died of chemical asphyxia in October from inhaling nitrous oxide.

The Centre Daily Times reported Thursday that police say people with 17-year-old Jack Schoenig immediately called 911 and cooperated with the investigation.

Centre County District Attorney Bernie Cantorna tells the paper that Schoenig inhaled the gas from a cartridge of nitrous oxide designed to charge whipped cream dispensers. The death of Schoenig, a senior from Cathedral Preparatory School in Erie, was ruled accidental.

The Associated Press is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, it's a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members.